Burn injuries, ranging from light sunburns to deadly explosions, can occur at home, at work or on the road. These injuries can be extremely painful. Victims can take months or years to heal. They often are left with disfiguring scars.
The burn injury lawyers of Davis, Saperstein, & Salomon, P.C., have decades of experience with helping burn injury victims in New Jersey and New York. Contact us today to learn more.
The American Burn Association reports that, every year in our country:
Unfortunately, children often are the victims of these serious injuries. SafeKids reports that, in one recent year, among children under the age of 19:
- 325 died from fires or burns (277 in residential fires)
- 136,453 went to the emergency room for treatment of their burn injuries.
If you or a loved one suffers a burn injury because of someone else’s negligence, we believe it is important to work with an attorney who has an extensive background in this area of the law.
Why Should You Hire An Experienced Burn Injury Lawyer?
There are many ways in which a lawyer with experience in burn injury cases can assist you.
- A burn injury lawyer will investigate the cause or origin of the fire.If a prosecutor’s office or insurance company investigates the cause of a fire, people assume they will arrive at the cause or origin of the fire. This is not necessarily true.The goal of the prosecutor’s office is to determine whether a crime was committed by a person or corporation. The insurance company’s goal is to minimize the payment of the loss. (If required by law, the fire department may investigate where it thinks the fire originated.)Both a prosecutor and the insurance company can arrive at the same conclusion. For instance, they may determine that a heater or power overload started a fire. Although helpful, their investigation does not establish negligence.A skilled burn liability attorney, however, will take possession of the heater and have a forensic lab examine the heater or failed device components to see what went wrong and caused a fire.Not only may the manufacturer of the heater be responsible, but the following people or companies may have contributed to this catastrophic burn injury:
- Property owner for failing to install a smoke alarm
- Electrician for performing poor work
- Manufacturer for making a faulty electrical device or device component parts
- Sellers and installers for allowing defective products to get into a home or office
- Tenants or businesses for locking and/or blocking safety exits.
In fires and explosions that involve cars and trucks, a different set of forensics engineers must be consulted and retained. The vehicles involved need to be preserved and examined. Engineers need to carefully study the defective automobile design defect.
Where Do Burn Injuries Occur?
Source: American Burn Association
- A burn injury attorney will understand burn medicine.Many evaluate a burn injury by the residual scars left behind without fully appreciating the extent and complexity of treating a burn victim.Few injuries, if any, are more painful than burn injuries. These injuries often require extensive hospitalization, skin grafts and careful monitoring to avoid potentially fatal infections. The cost of treatment may be ongoing and require skilled plastic surgeons who are experienced in treating serious burn injuries. Even after a burn victim is discharged from the hospital, they may require dozens of revision surgeries to improve the appearance of the scars and disfigurement.Often, the trauma burn physician, plastic surgeon and other doctors will be called upon to serve as witnesses and tell the story about the burn victim’s injuries, pain and treatment. Psychiatrists and psychologists may also testify about self-esteem issues, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
- A burn injury lawyer can assist with a wrongful death claim if a person lost their life in the fire.The law provides many forms of compensation for family members who lose a loved one due to burn injuries, including:
- Medical expenses
- Funeral costs
- Loss of the deceased family member’s guidance, companionship and services.
New Jersey and New York allow family members to recover damages for the pain and suffering felt by the deceased between the time of the injury and the time of death. However, neither state allows family members to recover damages for their own pain and suffering.
Your lawyer should know how to handle a wrongful death case with dedication and compassion. The attorney should understand how hard the process can be and want to help you to seek justice for your loved one.
Out of the 3,240 fire- and smoke inhalation-related deaths that occur in the U.S. each year, the American Burn Association reports that:
- A burn injury attorney will have the financial resources to hire, retain and pay for often expensive experts to help establish a case.Not every expert has the necessary credentials to testify in court about burn cases. For example, a burn plastic surgeon may not be able to discuss the fine details about a psychological claim. Medical economic experts are often required to determine the future financial loss of the burn victim as well as the estimated cost of future medical care.
Source: American Burn Association
Contact Our New Jersey Burn Injury Lawyers Today
The burn injury lawyers of Davis, Saperstein & Salomon, P.C., believe that you deserve to have a lawyer that knows the medicine of burns, works with highly qualified experts and understands your pain, suffering, emotional and financial losses.
We serve clients throughout New Jersey and New York. We are available to help you today.
Our attorneys handle most personal injury claims on a contingency fee basis. This means you don’t have to pay us if we can’t help you to obtain a verdict or reach a settlement.
We have attorneys who speak Spanish and English as well as interpreters to assist us in cases where victims or their families speak Spanish, Polish, Portuguese, Korean, Russian, German, French, Hebrew, Tagalog, Italian, Slovakian, Japanese, Dutch or Ukrainian.
Simply call (800) LAW-2000 or submit our online form today to arrange for a free consultation.
Sources / More Information