All drivers must have proof of auto insurance to operate a vehicle. Your minimum coverage will depend on whether you have a Basic or Standard policy.
The minimum required insurance in New Jersey for a Standard policy includes:
- Liability insurance – This coverage pays for others’ damages if you are responsible for the accident. The minimum requirements for bodily injury coverage are $25,00 per person and $50,000 per accident. It also requires $25,000 in property damage coverage per accident.
- Personal injury protection – Personal injury protection (PIP) coverage pays medical expenses for you and others covered under your policy regardless of fault. You must have a minimum of $15,000 per person or accident.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage – If you are involved in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist, this coverage will apply. Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is available up to the same amounts as liability coverage.
For a Basic policy in New Jersey, you must have a minimum of:
- Liability insurance – The minimum liability coverage on a Basic policy only pays for others’ property damages. This coverage is a minimum of $5,000 per person or accident.
- Personal injury protection – Basic policies also must have a minimum of $15,000 per person or accident in PIP coverage.