Should the police be called to investigate an automobile accident?

In New Jersey, you are required to file a police report if the property damage is $500 or more. If the accident occurred on an interstate in New Jersey, the New Jersey State Police will investigate the accident. If the crash occurs on a county road, the county police or local township police will most likely respond. Don’t let an at-fault driver convince you not to call the police or involve insurance companies. The at-fault driver may be upset about the prospect of rising insurance rates or traffic citations. But your primary concern should be to protect your interests after an automobile accident. Summon the police to the scene and wait for them to arrive. Exchange names, addresses and insurance information with the other drivers while you’re waiting. Copy the information yourself directly from their license and take a photo if your phone has a camera. Avoid small talk and do not discuss your injuries with the at-fault driver. Do not minimize your injuries or tell anecdotes about your own driving mishaps to make the at-fault driver feel better. Such well-intentioned small talk can come back to haunt you. Again, your concern after an accident is to protect your own interests and legal rights. Be sure to write down the name of the police officer, their badge number and the law enforcement agency they represent.

The law firm of Davis, Saperstein & Salomon, P.C., based in Teaneck, New Jersey, is highly regarded throughout New Jersey for the quality of the counsel and legal representation that our NJ personal injury lawyers provide. The focus of our practice is representing people who were injured in accidents through the negligence of others. We are justifiably proud of our record of success in representing more than 20,000 accident victims in cases involving medical malpractice, defective drugs, automobile accidents, motorcycle accidents, and other kinds of personal injury accidents. We have obtained millions of dollars in settlements, verdicts and workers’ compensation claims on behalf of our clients.

Call our auto accident lawyers today at (800) LAW-2000 or use our online form to receive a free initial consultation. Translators for all languages are available.

Home and Hospital Consultations Available—No Fee if No Recovery.