Animal Attacks and Dog Bites
Animal attacks and dog bites are common occurrences. In New Jersey, an owner of an animal is strictly liable under the law for the actions of his animal provided that the bite broke the skin of the person attacked. At Davis, Saperstein & Salomon, P.C., our lawyers have helped many people recover compensation for injuries received as a result of an animal attack. Since 1981, we have devoted our practice to helping injured people, including those bitten by dogs. If you have been injured in a dog attack, contact our New York and New Jersey offices to learn about obtaining compensation for your injuries. Call for a free initial consultation today.
Committed to our clients and to the community
At least one million people annually require medical treatment for a dog bite; many more go unreported. Dog bites can result in serious disfigurement and scarring, requiring reconstructive surgeries. Other consequences include nerve damage, blood loss, serious infections, rabies, and emotional trauma. When the victim is a child, the emotional damage can be as serious as the physical injuries, requiring extensive therapy. Our attorneys work hard to keep a child from being further traumatized by the legal process after a dog bite.
What to do after an animal attack in New Jersey
Protect your rights. Consult with an experienced lawyer to learn about your options after an animal attack. If you cannot hire a lawyer, be sure to take the steps listed below.
- Identify the dog as soon as possible. Get the name and address of the owner of the dog. If possible, obtain the dog license information
- Obtain medical treatment
- Get the dog’s inoculation history from its vet
- Report the incident to the police
- Get the name, address and telephone number of any potential witnesses
- You may need to return to the accident scene, and knock on the doors of nearby homes and businesses
- Take photos of all of your wounds, bruises and bloody clothing
- If possible, obtain insurance information from the dog owner
Our attorneys have been successful obtaining maximum compensation for people who have been victims of a dog attack. We have the technical resources, the medical experts, and the determination to build a strong case for people injured in an animal attack. Contact us to learn how we can help you obtain payment for your medical bills, lost income, and emotional trauma. We serve injured people in New Jersey and New York, including the New Jersey communities of Newark, Elizabeth, Paterson, Trenton, Princeton and Teaneck.
No Fee If No Recovery