Slip and Fall Lawyer in Teaneck, NJ
Some of the most serious injuries can result from a person being caused to slip, trip, or fall to the ground. A person’s first reaction after falling is usually embarrassment as they quickly try to get up and brush themselves off.
Television sitcoms and slapstick comedies often poke fun at people falling, but rest assured that it’s nothing to laugh at – and it usually was not their fault. People get hurt, and often badly. For many injured people, their first inclination is to be and act normal. However, hours, days, and weeks may follow with annoying pain that will not go away.
What most people don’t realize is that they did not cause the fall. They were caused to fall for a number of different reasons which were preventable had the property owner or storekeeper taken better care of the property. If this type of negligence caused your fall, you may be entitled to recover significant compensation in a premises liability claim.
If you have been harmed in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property in Teaneck or the surrounding area, get legal help now from a local law firm. Davis, Saperstein & Salomon, P.C., is ready to help you pursue compensation for your injuries so you can get on with your life.
Let’s get started. Call us at 1-800-LAW-2000 or contact us online now for a free consultation. We are ready to provide a free claim review and advice about your best legal options at our Teaneck office. If you can’t come to us, we’ll come to you at your home, in the hospital or wherever is most convenient.
About Our Teaneck Premises Liability Law Firm
Davis, Saperstein & Salomon, P.C., has state-of-the-art offices located in Teaneck at the intersection of Cedar Lane and Palisade Avenue. The firm’s facility has been located at 375 Cedar Lane since 1995. Our office not only boasts the latest in technology, but it is also handicapped-accessible with an elevator, double entry doors to attorney offices, and a fully covered parking lot and building entryway.
The attorneys and staff at Davis, Saperstein & Salomon, P.C., have strong personal and professional ties to the Teaneck community. In fact, the firm’s founding partners met as children nearby in the religious school of The Bergenfield-Dumont Jewish Center. They graduated from local high schools in the Teaneck area. After law school, they returned to the area to serve the people of Teaneck and surrounding communities.
Our attorneys are very active in the Teaneck community. A few examples of our involvement include organizations such as the Teaneck Bar Association, the Teaneck Chamber of Commerce, Teaneck Rotary and Teaneck Volunteer Ambulance Corp.
Seeking Compensation for Slip and Fall Accidents in Teaneck
New Jersey law requires property owners to keep their property safe for their customers, visitors and guests. The law is different when someone falls during a social visit or when someone falls in a place of business.
Here are some of the places in Teaneck where people typically fall:
- Within or outside of a house, apartment or condominium
- On a street or public sidewalk
- Inside or outside of or a restaurant, store, mall, movie theater gym, etc.
- Inside or outside public property such as:
- School, college or university property
- Public stadium
- Airport, rail station, pier or bus station
- Public or private hospital
- Inside or outside of a church, synagogue, or within a cemetery
Consumer Alert: If your injury occurred on public property or because of a governmental employee, special laws, requirements and deadlines apply.
Depending on where you fell, there may be additional legal requirements. If you fell or were injured on public property – such as property owned or maintained by a city, county, state, or government agency, such as a board of education or port authority; or if you were injured by the negligence of a governmental worker, be it janitor or a judge, a teacher, or a police officer, etc. – you will need to file a TORT CLAIMS NOTICE within 90 days of the accident to appropriate governmental authorities on their official forms. Failure to do so can cause you to lose your case. So it is recommended that you always consult with a qualified personal injury lawyer that routinely handles slip, trip and fall cases.
What causes someone to fall? Here are some common examples:
- Poor construction in violation of building codes
- Uneven stairs
- Grease, water, ice, snow, rubbish
- Poor lighting
- Improperly placed or non-existent handrails
- Walking surface defects, such as cracks, pot holes, tripping hazards
- Unprotected construction sites
- Being pushed or knocked to the ground
- Poorly maintained floor mats
Lack of warning signs
You need to know that your accident was not your fault – and we can prove it. How do we prove it? By examining the accident scene or reconstructing the accident to show that the property was not complying with local building codes, or poorly maintained, or was in a dangerous condition.
- We do it with measurements, photos, building and maintenance codes, expert safety witnesses, eyewitnesses, weather experts, and more.
- We prove that the property owner or storekeeper was negligent in allowing poor maintenance or unsafe conditions to exist and continue by:
- Failing to discover them
- Failing to warn people of such danger,
- Not fixing dangerous conditions.
- Often the way buildings are designed, especially if they cut corners during construction, or ignore building code requirements, can itself cause a fall and injuries.
What You Should Do After a Slip and Fall Accident in Teaneck
It’s important that you take the following steps to help preserve evidence and prove your case:
- Take plenty of photographs of the scene and photos of surveillance camera placement.
- Get the name and address of any eyewitnesses to the accident.
- Get the name and address of persons who saw what caused you to fall.
- Get checked at a hospital and explain to them how you fell and document all your injury complaints.
- Photograph all of your injuries.
- Report the accident to the storekeeper or mall security.
- As soon as possible it is recommended to contact a qualified Teaneck personal injury lawyer who can depending upon the facts and circumstances dispatch an investigator, an architect or engineer to the site to examine the area for code and safety violations that caused you to fall and suffer injuries.
Types of Injuries Caused by Slips, Trips and Falls
People who fall usually suffer more than one injury. Here are some common types of injuries that victims suffer in slip and fall accidents:
- Head injuries, concussions, skull and orbit fractures
- Dental injuries, jaw fractures, teeth loss, TMJ
- Fractures to the neck, shoulder, elbow, arms, wrists, hand and fingers
Hip and pelvis fractures
Ruptured, herniated, slipped and bulging discs in the back and spine
- Leg, ankle, foot and toe fractures
- Rotator cuff shoulder tears and meniscus and knee cartilage tears
- Sprains, strains, muscle and ligament tears
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
RSD and Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS)
Emotional and psychological Injuries
Brain injuries affecting balance and equilibrium
Get Legal Help From Our Teaneck, NJ Slip and Fall Lawyers
Slip-and-fall accidents commonly cause injuries to people of all ages. The truth is that most of these accidents could have been avoided had the property owner taken the time to inspect their property for such dangers, fix the problem or warn people about the danger. But not all hazards are obvious. For example, uneven stairs, loose carpeting, black ice, inadequate lighting, or building code violations can all contribute to a fall causing serious injuries.
In Teaneck, New Jersey, property owners are held responsible for the injuries caused to others by their failure to make their property safe. This is a good law because society as a whole benefits from a safe environment and so do the property owners as they shop or visit others.
If you’ve been hurt in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property, you can’t change what happened to you – but you do have control over what happens next. Talking to the experienced Teaneck lawyers at Davis, Saperstein & Salomon, P.C., is the most important step you can take after a slip and fall.
If you been injured in a fall in Teaneck, contact our law office now at (800) LAW-2000 or use our online form. We are ready to provide a free and confidential consultation about your case. You will pay no attorney fees unless slip and fall attorneys win a financial recovery for you.