Slip and Fall Lawyer in New York
The New York injury attorneys of Davis, Saperstein & Salomon, P.C., provide experienced representation for people injured by the negligence of another. All too often, sidewalks, parking lots, and commercial properties in New York City are not properly maintained following a snowfall, rain, and other poor weather conditions. When this occurs, it is very easy for a customer or passer-by to slip and fall, which can result in serious injury.
These slip/trip/fall injuries may include:
- Broken Bones
- Back & Spine Injuries
- Whiplash & Neck Injuries
- Injuries to the Face & Mouth
- Brain injuries
What is Premises Liability?
New York premises liability is the body of law under which NYC homeowners and business owners can be held liable for injuries suffered by visitors to their property or premises. The injuries are often referred to as “slip, trip and fall” accidents, and injuries. If a visitor falls on a broken step or an icy sidewalk, the homeowner or business owner may be liable if they knew about the hazard and failed to fix it or failed to warn the visitor about the problem.
Business owners are required to provide safe places for their visitors and may be liable if there is a potential hazard that they should have known about and failed to fix. A landlord may be liable for an injury that a tenant, visitor, or guest suffers in a fall due to the landlord’s failure to maintain a property.
Even if a stairway appears to be safe, a person may become injured if the stairway violates the local building code or lacks proper maintenance. For example, all steps need to be of equal height, and handrails need to be present and at a certain height. The stairway requires sufficient lighting, and worn carpeting needs to be inspected and replaced as appropriate.
Can I Sue for a Slip and Fall in New York City?
If you have been injured in a slip-and-fall accident, you can seek to hold the careless property owner accountable.
Our New York slip and fall lawyers will help you pursue compensation for your losses, including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
- Any other harm you have suffered
What to do After a Slip and Fall Accident in New York City
- The first thing you always want to do after a slip and fall accident, if you haven’t already, is to see a medical provider. Do not delay. Though some injuries may not present themselves right away, certain injuries from a slip, trip or fall can present themselves minutes, hours, and even days later.
- Report your slip and fall accident. If you didn’t immediately inform the owner of the property that you fell on, you should make sure to return or call into the business where the accident occurred. Most businesses have a formal report that you can fill out. Make sure to get a copy of the slip and fall accident report.
- Start a file with your information, records, and reports. If you still have the clothes you were wearing or pictures of yourself after the fall, keep those on hand.
- Contact a New York slip and fall lawyer. Our New York slip and fall lawyers have experience dealing with insurance companies and settling these types of claims before it even makes it to a courtroom or lawsuit.
- Refrain from giving any sort of statement to the insurance company if they reach out. Additionally, monitor your activity online. You wouldn’t want to damage your injury claim with pictures online that contradict your injury claim.
Statute of Limitations on Slip & Fall Injury Claims in New York
The amount of time that an injured person has to make a personal injury claim against another party is called a statute of limitations. In New York, the statute of limitations on slip and fall injury claims is 3 years from the date of the incident.
However, depending on the specifics of your injury, there are some exceptions to this timeframe. For example, if the injury happened on New York government property – you must give notice within 90 days of the slip and fall accident. It is important to consult with an experienced New York slip and fall lawyer at Davis, Saperstein & Salomon, P.C. as soon as possible to see if any of the exceptions will apply to your slip and fall claim.
Call the New York City Slip and Fall Attorneys at Davis, Saperstein & Salomon, P.C., today!
The NYC slip & fall attorneys at Davis, Saperstein & Salomon, P.C., provide aggressive representation to be sure that our clients are properly compensated for their injuries including medical expenses, lost wages, physical pain as well as emotional pain and suffering. Call the New York slip and fall lawyers today for a free initial consultation and find out if you have a slip and fall claim.