There is no such thing as an accident.
Automobile collisions whether you call wrecks, crashes, fender benders are always caused by driver negligence. And, when a person is injured by such negligence, they have a right to be paid money for their pain, suffering, permanent injuries, lost wages, and medical bills. To get paid the right amount of money the most critical decision is hiring the right lawyers to fight the big and powerful insurance companies’ legal team. Why is the selection of your New York car accident law firm important? Here are just a few of the reasons.
1) Insurance companies know which law firms only represent accident victims and are passionate and serious about helping their clients receive financial justice.
2) Insurance companies know which law firm will drag them into a courtroom battle to make sure their clients get their fair settlement and which firms fold and settle on the cheap.
3) Insurance companies know which law firms have invested their time, legal talent, and money into proving the negligent driver‘s fault and proving their client’s accident-related injuries were solely caused by the defendant driver’s careless driving.
4) Insurance companies know which law firms partners, such as Sam Davis, Marc Saperstein & Garry Salomon, from Davis, Saperstein & Salomon, PC, in New Jersey and New York will show up in court and tell a jury why their clients deserve to be paid money for their injuries.
5) Insurance companies know that cases accepted by serious lawyers and law firms need to be taken seriously by them.
6) Insurance companies know which law firms waste their money on billboards and comedic commercials instead of experienced lawyers with proven courtroom records that make insurance companies settle out of court to avoid a loss of money by a jury trial.
7) Insurance companies know which law firms understand medicine and how it relates to the law and these lawyers know that someone who had a prior accident, prior arthritis or disc disease, or even a prior lawsuit may in fact be entitled to more money because the negligent driver put them in even more pain.
8) Insurance companies know which personal injury lawyers have been recognized because of their million-dollar track record, and which lawyers teach other injury lawyers how to win cases.
9) Insurance companies know which personal injury law firms will settle clients’ cases too quickly so that they can get a fast buck to pay for more billboards and TV commercials.
10) Insurance companies know which law firms put the “personal” in personal injury
Accident victims deserve lawyers that are respected by not only insurance companies but by defense attorneys, judges and the doctors that treat accident victims.
Get Experienced Help from Our Car Accident Lawyers in New York
Our car accident injury claim lawyers have over 30 years of experience successfully winning personal injury claims for car accident victims in all five boroughs of New York City. Each of our attorneys concentrates on one practice area and all are dedicated to providing you with one-on-one attention.
Davis, Saperstein & Salomon, P.C. has offices in Teaneck, NJ and Manhattan, NY but we will come to you wherever you are. Our NY personal injury law firm provides a free and confidential consultation for you at the hospital, rehab center, your home or another convenient location. We can even talk with you by phone, Skype, FaceTime, Zoom, or GoToMeeting, whichever is most convenient for you.
Call us or reach out online to speak with an experienced New York City car accident lawyer today.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in New York
The top 10 common causes of car accidents in NY are:
- Driver Inattention/Distraction
- Following Too Closely
- Failure to Yield Right of Way
- Unsafe Lane Changes
- Unsafe Backing
- Unsafe Passing
- Inexperienced Drivers
- Disregarding Traffic Signals
- Drunk and impaired Driving
It is no surprise that driver inattention/distraction tops the list of common causes. Examples of distracted driving include talking or texting on cell phones, talking with passengers, eating, drinking, tuning the radio or navigation system, and shaving or putting on makeup. Anything that takes your attention away from the vehicle and the road is a distraction.
There are many other car accident causes in NYC. Examples include fatigue/drowsy drivers, drivers impaired from the use of prescription medication, slippery pavement, potholes, and other dangerous road conditions.
Common Injuries Suffered in New York Car Crashes
Some of the most common severe injuries in car accidents include:
- Whiplash – also known as hyperextension-flexion injuries. Rear-end accidents are a significant cause of “whiplash.” Whiplash happens when a person’s head moves quickly back and forth, causing herniated discs in a person’s neck or back. This motion can damage bones in the spine, discs between the bones, ligaments, muscles, nerves, and other tissues of the neck. Lower back injuries are caused by the violent force of a crash causing the body to continue forward while the hips and lower back is pinned into the seat by a seat belt. This causes a stretching rupturing and herniation of lumbar discs.
- Broken bones – Almost any bone in the human body can be broken in a car accident, and often multiple bones are broken. Arms, legs, pelvis, ribs, vertebrae, and facial bones are all particularly susceptible to fractures in car crashes. Broken bones can puncture internal organs, possibly creating the need for surgery to repair the organ.
- Spinal cord injuries – Spinal cord injuries may result from damage to the vertebrae, ligaments, or discs of the spinal column or to the spinal cord itself. Permanent damage such as changes in strength, sensation, and other body function often occurs below the site of the injury. Paralysis is also a risk with a spinal cord injury.
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) – TBIs can result from a violent blow or jolt to the head or body, or if an object penetrates brain tissue. A TBI can result in wide-ranging physical and psychological effects, many of which can cause permanent impairment.
- Chest and abdominal cavity injuries – Many major organs, such as the heart, lungs, diaphragm, liver, spleen, kidneys, and intestines, are located in the chest or abdominal cavity. If injuries to major organs cannot be repaired with surgery, the injuries may be fatal.
- Lacerations and contusions – These are medical terms for cuts and bruises, meaning the soft tissues of the skin, muscles, tendons, and ligaments.
- Burns and smoke inhalation – Burns can be caused by contact with hot pieces of a smashed vehicle, hot fluids or steam, or by a fire. Burns suffered in an accident can range from first- to third-degree severity. If the car accident caught on fire, smoke could cause lung damage.
Any injury suffered in a NY car accident can have a lasting impact on someone’s life, whether from emergency and ongoing medical treatments to permanent disabilities, and an inability to work. If you have been injured in a car accident in one of the five boroughs of New York, you deserve to be paid compensation if someone else’s negligence caused the crash.
What Is a Car Accident Claim Typically Worth in New York City?
Car accident claims may be worth more than you would generally think. One study, by the independent Insurance Research Council, found that with the help of a lawyer, on average, car accident victims can collect more than three times more compensation.
Some of the losses that an attorney can negotiate for a settlement or seek in court can include:
- Pain and suffering. For past, present, and future pain, disability, disfigurement, loss of enjoyment of sports, hobbies, and interests. There is no limit on the amount of money a jury can award for pain and suffering.
- Medical expenses including prescriptions, care and treatment personnel, and facilities (past, present, and future)
- Lost wages, including reduced earning potential
- Out-of-pocket costs for over-the-counter medications, durable medical supplies (crutches, wheelchairs, etc.) travel to, and parking fees at the hospital and other treatment facilities.
- Emotional and psychological distress
- Loss of consortium (supporting relationships) with family members
- Vehicle property damage
What Are the Most Dangerous Intersections in New York?
In a recent one-year span, there were 226,141 car accidents in the five boroughs of New York City, almost 25% of which resulted in an injury or death.
Queens had the highest percentage of the total accidents with 29.5% or 65,896, followed by Brooklyn (28% or 62,455), Manhattan (22.6% or 50,401), Bronx (14.1% or 31,372), and Staten Island (5.8%, 13,017). That’s an alarming number of car accidents.
New York is somewhat different from other cities in the U.S. in terms of population density and the number of bridges, roads, and tunnels. Also, the traffic volume on roadways in NYC varies between boroughs. But, similar to any other city in the U.S., there are comparable reasons for car accidents.
The NYPD has published data for car accidents that included geographical coordinates for the nearest intersection. If the accident occurred on a highway or bridge or in a tunnel, the name of the highway or structure was used in place of the longitude and latitude. A full year’s worth of data shows the most dangerous intersections in NYC by borough, according to BadIntersections.com.
The intersections with the most collisions, 58, were located in Midtown Manhattan. Between 25,000 to 75,000 vehicles per day travel on Manhattan’s busy streets.
- East 96th Street & Madison Avenue
- 8th Avenue & West 42th Street
- 2nd Avenue & East 36th Street
- 9th Avenue $ West 42th Street
- 3rd Avenue & East 59th Street
- Flatbush Ave. & Grand Army Plaza
- Flatbush Ave Extension & Tillary Street
- Linden Blvd. & Pennsylvania Ave.
- Atlantic Ave. & Pennsylvania Ave.
- 3rd Ave. & Hamilton Ave.
- Framers Blvd. & Rockaway Blvd.
- Brookville Blvd. & Rockaway Blvd.
- 20th Ave. & Whitestone Expressway
- Horace Harding Exp. & Main Street
- 65th Place & Queens Blvd.
- Bruckner Blvd. & Hunts Point Ave.
- Bruckner Blvd. & East 138 Street
- East 233rd Street & White Plaines Road
- Eastchester Road & Waters Place
- Bainbridge Ave. & East Gun Hill Road
Staten Island Intersections
- Richmond Ave. & Victory Blvd.
- Richmond Ave. & Richmond Hill Rd.
- Glen St. & South Ave.
- Hylan Blvd. & Old Town Rd.
- Clove Rd. & Richmond Rd.
What Is the Time Limit on Filing a Car Accident Injury Claim in New York?
The amount of time allowed to file an accident injury claim is established by New York State law, and it is known as the statute of limitations. Most often, the time you have to file a claim starts on the date of the accident. There are, however, some exceptions to this rule, one of which is if a government entity is involved.
NY law allows three years from the date of the motor vehicle accident to file a claim with the proper Court for injuries or personal property damages. Filing a claim is also known as suing for damages in civil court.
If your family member died from injuries they received in an auto accident, talk to the New York car accident lawyers at Davis, Saperstein & Salomon PC about filing a wrongful death claim. The statute of limitations for a wrongful death claim in New York is only two years.
What Evidence Is Needed for a Car Accident Claim in New York?
Evidence that needs to be collected for a New York car accident claim includes copies of the police report, proof of payments for medical expenses and property damages, out-of-pocket expenses, photos or videos that were taken at the accident scene, witness reports and contact information, insurance reports, and more.
Essentially, your evidence should include anything for which you are seeking compensation. If your personal injury claim proceeds to trial, you may also need expert witnesses, independent accident reconstruction or investigation reports, and interrogatories or depositions from other involved drivers or witnesses.
The dedicated car accident attorneys at Davis, Saperstein & Salomon P.C. have the knowledge, experience, and resources you need to win your car accident personal injury claim in New York. Don’t wait, contact us today.