With numerous lakes and beaches, boating is a popular form of transportation and recreation in New Jersey. Unfortunately, many people don’t take safety as seriously as they should when on a boat. Boating carries unique risks and liabilities. When boat captains and passengers aren’t careful, tragic injuries can happen due to negligence.
The U.S. Coast Guard reported 135 boating accidents with nine deaths across New Jersey in one recent year. Negligence is often the cause of injuries in New Jersey boating accidents. If you’ve been injured in a boating accident, the New Jersey legal team at Davis, Saperstein & Salomon, P.C. can help you hold any potentially liable parties accountable for their negligence.
We have over 40 years of experience handling a wide variety of personal injury cases and are known throughout New Jersey for our aggressive representation on behalf of our clients. Our legal team has recovered more than $740 million in verdicts and settlements for our clients. Contact our office for a free initial consultation to learn more about how our New Jersey boating accident lawyers can help you.
Who’s Liable in an NJ Boat Accident?
Several parties could be liable for a boating accident, depending on how it happened.
Some potentially liable parties in boat accidents are:
- The boat’s operator — If the operator was impaired, distracted, or otherwise negligent, they could be held liable for an accident.
- The boat’s owner — The boat owner can be held liable for an accident if they were negligent, such as by allowing someone who is impaired to operate the boat or not making sure the boat was equipped with the required safety gear.
- Other passengers — If you were injured due to a negligent passenger, they could be held partly liable for your boating accident injuries.
- The boat’s manufacturer — Manufacturers can be held liable for a boating accident if a mechanical defect with the vessel caused the accident.
- Dockworkers — If the accident was caused by a lack of proper maintenance on the vessel, the dockworkers responsible for maintaining the boat could be found partly liable for the accident.